Information for faculty on online presentation options for students.
There are several ways to manage student presentations via Zoom. First you'll need to decide whether:
- Presentations should be delivered live, during the class' synchronous sessions, OR
- Presentations should be recorded outside of the class and submitted only to you or be made available to the entire class for discussion
Feel free to share these student focused instructions for giving an online presentation with your students.
You should also decide how you want students to post their presentation recordings or slide decks: Create an assignment and/or Create a Discussion in Canvas (either feature can be used for grading and/or peer review):
- Assignment: Create an Assignment (individual or group assignment) if it should be accessible only to the teaching team
- Discussion: Create a Discussion if the materials should be accessible to all students
Synchronous (live) Presentations
To share presentations during a live class over Zoom, individuals or groups should share their screens. You may need to set host mode or change the meeting settings. This will mean that your screen is no longer being shared. Make sure to keep recording the session for post-class review of presentations. Students should also post their slide decks on the appropriate Assignments/Discussions page.
Students should use Zoom to create a personal or group meeting and record their presentation. Then they should download the recording and upload to Canvas, as one of the following options:
- An assignment, where only the teaching team may retrieve it. Ideally, students should submit a link to the recording. Students may also submit a link to the video shared in Penn+Box--the link should lead directly to the video and not to a folder. In both cases, please remind students to adjust the recording's settings so that you may view it.
Students may also record the video inside the assignment, or they may upload a video. We strongly recommend recording and then uploading, as it is more reliable.
- A discussion, which the entire class may view. Students may submit a link to the recording. Students may also submit a link to the video shared in Penn+Box--the link should lead directly to the video and not to a folder. In both cases, please remind students to adjust the recording's settings so that you may view it.
Students may also record the video inside the discussion, or they may upload a video.
To ensure online student collaboration runs smoothly, we recommend:
- Setting up student groups in advance
- Making sure assignment for grading is configured as a group assignment
- Setting up a Discussions page for groups to share presentation materials with other students
- Reminding students of Canvas tools available e.g. group collaboration spaces, personalized video conferences, etc.
For more assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for support.