The Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS) is a web-based business data research service. It was developed at Wharton in 1993 to support our faculty's research and is now also used by many other institutions.
Register for a WRDS Account
Full-Time Wharton Faculty, Staff, and Students
Full-time Faculty, Staff, and Wharton Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students can register for a WRDS account using the instructions below. Student accounts close 2 years after registration, however, undergraduate students who are still actively affiliated with Penn/Wharton continue to have access during the terms in which they are enrolled.
Use these directions to register for your WRDS account:
- Navigate to the WRDS homepage.
- Select Register.
- Fill in your username (PennKey), First Name, Last Name, and Wharton Email.
- For Subscriber, select The Wharton School from the drop-down list.
- For User Type, select the most appropriate category for your status from the dropdown menu.
- For Department, choose the department of your major (students) or academic affiliation (faculty, PhD students).
- Your account will reflect a default expiration date, 2 years from the current date. Your account will expire on that date, or when you leave the University.
- Click Register.
- You will be presented with the Registration - Input Check screen. Ensure all of the information you inputted is correct. If so, click Complete Registration.
- You will be presented with the Registration Accepted page. You will now need to verify your Wharton Email Account.
- Navigate to your Wharton Email inbox and find the WRDS Access Verification email.
- Click the link provided to verify your Wharton Email.
- Finally, you need to set a password on the Password Reset page. Select the I'm Not a Robot check box for Captcha.
Other Account Types
See other WRDS accounts types if you're an exchange student, visiting faculty, or from an outside institution.
For login problems:
Students: contact Wharton Computing Student Support.
Faculty: contact our Academic Representative (PennKey login required).
Staff: contact Administrative Support (PennKey login required).
All other support:
Contact the WRDS Team.