The Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS) is a web-based business data research service. It was developed at Wharton in 1993 to support our faculty's research and is now also used by many other institutions.
Register for a WRDS Account
Full-Time Wharton Faculty, Staff, and Students
Full-time Faculty, Staff, and Wharton Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students can register for a WRDS account using the instructions below. Student accounts close 2 years after registration, however, undergraduate students who are still actively affiliated with Penn/Wharton continue to have access during the terms in which they are enrolled.
Use these directions to register for your WRDS account:
- Navigate to the WRDS homepage.
- Select Register.
- Enter your personal information on the Register for WRDS screen:
- Fill in your username (your PennKey).
- Create a password.
- Fill in your First Name, Last Name, and Wharton Email (email@example.com).
- For Subscriber, select Wharton School from the drop-down list.
- For User Type, select the most appropriate category for your status from the dropdown menu.
- For Department, choose the department of your major (students) or academic affiliation (faculty, PhD students).
- Your account will reflect a default expiration date, according to your account type. Your account will expire on that date, or when you leave the University.
- You will be presented with the Registration Accepted page. You will now need to verify your Wharton Email Account.
- Navigate to your Wharton Email inbox and find the WRDS Access Verification email. Click the link provided to verify your Wharton Email.
- You should receive a confirmation email acknowledging that you have confirmed your email address.
- On the registration website you should see a new screen that also confirms your email address. Your local WRDS representative will review your request and you'll be notified via email whether your request is approved.
Other Account Types
These types of accounts are available for those who aren't full-time Wharton Faculty, Staff or students.
- Faculty accounts are available to all standing permanent faculty of member institutions.Please note: Lecturers are not eligible for faculty accounts but may apply for a visitor account.
- Ph.D. accounts are available to all current Ph.D. candidates of member institutions.
- Research accounts are available to graduate and undergraduate students performing research for a faculty member.
- Staff accounts can only be requested by support personnel such as librarians and IT support staff of member institutions.
- Visitor accounts are available to visiting faculty (non-permanent or part-time position, or those on a limited appointment).
- Masters accounts are available to full-time masters students of member institutions.
- Class accounts may be requested by standing faculty of member institutions and are used to access the WRDS web interface. These accounts are primarily for student usage that is associated with a specific class and all students in the class share the same password.
For login problems:
Students: contact Wharton Computing Student Support.
Faculty: contact our Academic Representative (PennKey login required).
Staff: contact Administrative Support (PennKey login required).
All other support:
Contact the WRDS Team.