This guide is intended for participants who do not have access to a professional videographer.
Recommended recording devices:
- HD Camcorders
- iPhone or similar up to date mobile device
- DSLR cameras with video functionality
- All videos should be HD quality, with a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080. (16:9, minimum 1080p). Mobile device video must be shot horizontally and not vertical.
- Your set-up should be in a well-lit area with the light source somewhere behind the recording device (as opposed to being behind you, which will cause a silhouette effect).
- Make sure to set your mobile device on something steady rather than completely going handheld (a gorilla pod or tripod adapter would be ideal).
- Shoot somewhere indoors, preferably in a private room without other conversations in the vicinity or background noise. A more interesting location is fine if it is quiet.
- If you are filming this on your own with a mobile device, and do not have access to a microphone set up, we would recommend using Apple ear buds with mic/mouthpiece, or something very similar. If you have no choice but to use the internal mic of your phone or camera, it is ok. Just be sure to speak loud enough to pick up decent sound, and that the room you choose has little to no background noise, echo, or overwhelming HVAC room hum.
- No need to worry about speaking too slowly or too fast, but rather place focus on being clear and concise.
Uploading Files and File Format
- Submit videos through Dropbox or a similar file sharing tool. The recommended file format is H.264, .mov or .mp4 file.