This article describes how best to deliver an exam through Canvas during in-person classes. See Exams for Remote Instruction - Faculty for advice on delivering online exams remotely.
Before You Start
With proper notice, the Courseware team can help prepare an exam for delivery through Canvas. Note that the Courseware team will not convert paper exams into online formats.
You can deliver an online exam either in a Wharton lab or your classroom.
There are several ways to prevent cheating during online exams.
A quiz can be given during a precise time period (e.g., April 4, 2020, 4:30 pm-6 pm), or can be made available during a longer period but for a limited duration (e.g. the student only has an hour to complete, and the quiz must be taken and submitted at some point during the period of April 2-6, 2020).
Accommodations, such as granting extra time on an online exam, must be made in advance. It is not currently possible to allow students to edit previously submitted quizzes.
Creating a take-home exam
In place of a Canvas quiz, you have students download a document that contains the exam and then upload their answers in a Word file or pdf.
- Create the document you will attach to the quiz. (We recommend .pdfs; it's easy for students to confuse the downloaded version of the Word file with the version they must upload.)
- Store this document in Files, in a new folder whose permissions are set to "Only available to students with link."
- Create or edit a quiz, including one file upload question for collecting a student's answers. If there is no time limit, you can use an assignment instead of a quiz.
- Link your exam document either from a text question or from the File Upload Question details.
- Use availability dates to prevent students from accessing the document too early and to prevent submissions after the due date.
- Use a time limit in settings to limit the amount of time permitted for the quiz. We recommend allowing 5 extra minutes for students to save and upload their files.
- Use Moderate Quiz to monitor progress or to allow extra time or attempts to individual students,
Please advise if your exam occurs outside of regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Eastern Time).