Before You Start
You need one or more of the following to use the Canvas Teacher app:
- An active PennKey
- A mobile device running iOS or Android
- Instructor (teacher) or TA membership in current, past, or upcoming Penn courses
Apps & Guides
- Canvas Teacher for iOS (Download)
- Canvas Teacher for Android (Download)
- Mobile Guides for Canvas Teacher (iOS and Android): https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11886-mobile-guides-canvas-teacher
When you first log into Canvas through the app:
- In the Find your School or District field, type canvas.upenn.edu and press Go or Next to continue. Selecting University of Pennsylvania will also work.
NOTE: For this step, DO NOT select "University of Pennsylvania Law School" or "Wharton Online".
- Log in using your PennKey.
- After a successful Penn WebLogin, you’ll be prompted that Canvas is requesting access to your account. Be sure to check Remember my authorization for this service so the app can log you in automatically whenever possible.
Teaching on Multiple Canvas Platforms
Faculty teaching courses on multiple Canvas platforms may want to take advantage of multi-user login capability. Doing this will give you a “Profile” for each different Canvas platform (e.g., Penn Law Canvas) you need to use. Here are instructions for multi-user logins:
- How do I switch to another account in the Canvas app on my iOS device?
- How do I switch to another account in the Canvas app on my Android device?
Canvas Teacher provides quick, anytime-anywhere functionality to make announcements, grade submissions, or to edit a Canvas site for a course you are teaching. Announcements can be made either course-wide or to specific sections.
If a teaching or editing feature is not yet available in the mobile app (for example, group sign-up lists), switch to Canvas in a mobile browser on your device, preferably Chrome. You can also choose to subscribe to your Calendar Feed with your preferred mobile calendar app.