The GSRs in JMHH (Huntsman Hall) are equipped with computers and screens to enable screen sharing and web conferencing. They are managed by a touchscreen mounted on the wall next to the screen.
- Look for the touch panel next to the display -- wake the screen by tapping it
- Wireless Presentation will be selected by default. If you want to display a different source, press one of the other source buttons.
- Resident PC: the built-in public computer located in the GSR
- Wireless Presentation: opens Solstice Display to allow wireless sharing of personal devices
- HDMI/VGA: displays whatever device is plugged into the HDMI/VGA cables
> Login with your Pennkey credentials using the mouse and keyboard on the table.
> Follow the instructions in Casting your screen to the GSRs via Solstice
> The HDMI & VGA cables are located below the display. Be sure to plug in the audio jack for VGA. HDMI carries audio without an additional cable.
Adjusting the volume
> Use the vol up, vol down, and mute buttons in the top-left of the touch panel.
- Tap Presentation Timer on the top of the touch panel
- Set the timer using the Hours and Minutes buttons.
- Press Start Timer to begin the countdown
- If you used the Resident PC, be sure to log out
- Unplug any cables from your laptop, and press the retraction buttons over the appropriate cable. Be sure to hold the end of the cable in your hand to retract it slowly, it will move quickly and may whip around if you don’t.
- Press System Shutdown on the touch panel
FAQ and Troubleshooting
If you are having trouble with one of the technologies in the room, see if your question is listed below. If not, or the solution doesn't solve the problem, please submit a ticket to the Student Support Team.
I walked into the room, and nothing is working.
- Find the touch panel to the right of the display. Is it blank? Touch it, and the display should turn on.
The touch panel is on, but it’s not responding when I press it.
- The touch panel is likely frozen, and it will need to be addressed by a technician. You will need to find a new room to use, but we want to know you had a problem. Please let us know by submitting a ticket.
The touch panel says the display is warming up, but nothing’s happening.
- Check for a little light on the bottom right of the display. If the light is green, try clicking the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. The PC should come up within a second or two.
- If the light is red, the display didn’t turn on. Press the System Shutdown button on the touch panel, wait a few seconds for it to shut down and return to the welcome screen, then press the touch panel again to turn the system on again. You can also try to switch between sources on the touch panel by pressing HDMI, waiting a few seconds, then pressing Resident PC again.
My Laptop won’t display
- Ensure that you’ve selected the correct source on the touch panel (either HDMI or VGA) and that it is plugged securely into your laptop.
- Unplug it, and plug it in again.
- If it still doesn’t display, try the following:
- Mac: it should be automatically detected, but you can select outputs by clicking on System Preferences -> Display.
- PC: Look for the key with a picture of a monitor on it. Press Fn and that key at the same time.
Contact: Wharton Computing Student Support