The following article will outline the process of setting up 2-Step Verification for a Google account. 2-Step Verification is heavily recommended for all Google Accounts, both personal and student Google@Wharton accounts.
Before You Start (Action Required)
You must choose between push notifications or a code generator app before you can enroll.
For more information about choosing between Two-Step methods, see our Two-Step: Methods of Verification article.
Push Notifications: Android
- Open the Settings app
- Tap Accounts, and then Add Account
- Select Google and then sign-in
Push Notifications: iOS
- Open the App Store
- Download & open the Google App
- Sign in with your Google account
Code Generator App
- Android: open the Google Play Store
- iOS: open the App Store
- Download the Google Authenticator app
1) Enroll in Two-Step
- Review the Before You Start section above
- Login to your Google Account at gmail.com
- Click your profile icon in the top-right and select "My Account"
- Select "Sign-in & Security"
- Scroll down and click "2-Step Verification"
- Click "Get Started" and sign-in with your Google Account
- Add a second-step option by either selecting "Try it now" or "Choose another option"
- (Default is "Prompt", a.k.a. notification to a mobile phone)
- Confirm that second-step is setup by either selecting "Yes" or typing in the code you are provided with on your mobile device
- (depends on the method you chose)
- Add a backup option by typing in your phone number and selecting either "Text Message" or "Phone Call"
- (Most common: text message to a mobile phone)
- Click "Send"
- Confirm the backup option is setup by typing in the code you are provided with on your mobile device and clicking "Next"
- Select "Turn On"
2) Generate Backup Codes
These codes are used in case all of your 2-Step verification methods fail and you still need access to your account.
- Navigate to the "2-Step Verification" section of your Google Account (see Steps 1-5 of Enroll in Two-Step for details)
- Look underneath "Backup Codes", select "Setup"
- Download or print this list of codes and store them in a safe place
Configuring Outlook for Gmail
For instructions on how to configure Outlook for your Google@Wharton email account, see Configuring Outlook for Gmail (Students).
Students - Wharton Computing Student Support
Faculty - Academic Distributed Representatives
Staff - Administrative Support