Two-Step Verification is a service that provides an added layer of protection for your accounts. After you log in with your username and password, you'll be prompted to verify your identity – the second step – using a device in your possession such as a mobile phone or key fob.
You can also enable two-step verification for both personal and student Google accounts. For instructions on how to do so, please see our article here.
For more information regarding various options for Two-Step, please see our Two-Step: Methods of Verification article.
Before You Start
Make sure you have the following before you start this task:
- An active account (e.g. PennKey, Google)
- Administrative access to your smartphone (if you plan to install the recommended smartphone apps)
Two-Step Required at Penn
Two-Step Verification is critical to account security and is required for all PennKey accounts Google@Wharton accounts.
Enroll Your PennKey
During this process you will be prompted to choose a method for Two-Step Verification. We highly recommend using the Duo Mobile app for push notifications as it is both more secure and more convenient. (These instructions assume you are going to use the Duo Mobile app).
- Start by clicking the Get Service button below.
- Enter your Date Of Birth (DOB).
- Confirm or enter your Wharton email address.
- Enter a total of two lifelines (i.e. alternate phone numbers or users at Penn).
- Lifelines are used in case your phone is lost or broken and you need to recover your account.
- Select your method of two-step:
- Phone app (i.e. Duo Mobile, Google Authenticator)
- Code via Text Message
- Code via Phone Call
- Download & install the Duo Mobile app on your phone.
- Open Duo Mobile & scan the barcode.
- Approve the test push notification.
- Download/print the backup codes & store them in a secure location.
- Backup codes are extra codes you can use in case your phone is lost or broken and you need to recover your account.
Getting New Backup Codes
The following instructions assume that you've already setup Two-Step for your PennKey account. If you have not, please follow the above instructions under Enroll Your PennKey.
- Navigate to twostep.apps.upenn.edu
- Login with your PennKey credentials
- Click Manage Settings
- Scroll down to the Devices section & click Generate Codes
- Store the codes in a safe, accessible location
- i.e. personal cloud storage
Faculty & PhD Students: Academic Distributed Representatives (login required)
Staff: Administrative Support
Students: Wharton Computing Student Support