Before You Start
You need the following to use the Canvas Student mobile app:
- An active PennKey
- A camera-equipped mobile device running iOS or Android (for the QR code feature)
- Membership in a course site on Penn Canvas
The mobile apps provide quick access to most parts of a Canvas course site or group sub-site, including viewing and downloading of Files as well as view-only access (no saving or downloading) for reading Study.Net Materials. They contain much of the same functionality as the full browser version of Canvas.
|Canvas Student for iOS (Download)||Canvas Student for Android (Download)|
Mobile Guides for iOS and Android: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4048
If a Canvas feature is not yet available in the mobile version, switch to a mobile browser on your device, preferably Chrome. You might also choose to subscribe to your Calendar Feed with your preferred mobile calendar app.
Authorizing this App for Penn Canvas
Choose between two alternatives to authorize this app to work with your account and Penn Canvas user record: Authorization via Login or QR code.
Authorization via Login
This method works anywhere you can access mobile data or Wi-Fi, provided you meet the Before You Start requirements above and have already installed the Canvas Student app:
- In the Find your School or District field, type canvas.upenn.edu and press Go or Next.
(You can also select University of Pennsylvania, but do not use University of Pennsylvania Law School or Wharton Online.)
- Log in using your PennKey.
- When you are prompted that Canvas is requesting access to your account, check Remember my authorization for this service so the app can log you in automatically.
Authorization via QR Code
This quick method doesn't require typing on your mobile device, but it does require having both your camera-equipped mobile device and another device -- your laptop or other computer with a display screen showing Penn Canvas in a web browser.
- On your laptop or other computer connected to a screen, log into Penn Canvas using your PennKey.
- Under the Account menu at the upper left, click on QR for Mobile Login (see illustrated steps).
- Within 10 minutes after completing Step 2, open your Canvas Student app, then click QR Login.
- Review the instructions shown in the app briefly, then click Next.
- If necessary, grant the Canvas Student app permission to use your mobile camera.
- Now, hold your phone up toward the computer screen so that your mobile camera can scan the QR code from Step 2 (See illustrated steps). Within a few minutes – usually much faster – this QR-based authorization will finish automatically, showing your Canvas dashboard in the app.
Using more than one Canvas Platform?
Most, but not all, of Penn's students use the same Canvas platform. JD/MBA students and students taking another school's courses on different Canvas platforms may want to take advantage of multi-user login capability, which will give you a Profile for each Canvas platform you use. Here are instructions for multi-user logins:
- Switch to another account in the Canvas app on an iOS device.
- Switch to another account in the Canvas app on an Android device.
Contact: Wharton Student Computing
Phone: (215) 898-8600