Respondus LockDown Browser is a special web browser that helps prevent cheating during proctored online exams. Students take the exams using Canvas, but cannot use other programs, take screenshots, copy, paste, print, or navigate to other websites while the exam is in progress.
Before You Start
- LockDown Browser cannot be used for take-home exams or quizzes.
- If students will use LockDown Browser on personal devices, contact the Courseware team at email@example.com at least a week before the first online quiz/exam.
Before your students can take quizzes/exams using LockDown Browser, it must be enabled for the course.
- Create the exam using the Canvas Quiz tool.
- Email the Courseware team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request that Respondus LockDown browser be enabled for your course site.
- Click on the "LockDown Browser" link on the course navigation menu of your Canvas site to open the LockDown Browser Dashboard.
- Click the "down arrow to the left of the name of the quiz/exam you would like to enable with Respondus, then select "Settings."
- Click "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam." You can add an access code (optional) or require that LockDown Browser be used to view feedback and results. For details on Advanced Settings, visit the "Preparing a Quiz" section of the Quick Start Guide.
- When you are finished updating the settings, click "Save + Close" to save your changes.
- At least a few days before your first in-class exam, share with your students the LockDown Browser instructions that you received from the Courseware team.
Day of the Exam Troubleshooting
If students are having trouble opening the quiz/exam with LockDown Browser, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take on your own. You can also contact the Courseware team for assistance.
We recommend having some paper copies of the exam as a backup for students who are unable to open LockDown Browser or log in with two-factor authentication.
If students report problems opening LockDown, check the following:
- Their device is connected to AirPennNet.
- They are opening the LockDown Browser icon (not another browser, such as Chrome).
- They are able to log in using two-factor authentication. Students using SMS text codes for two-factor authentication may need to request a code more than once.
Contact: Courseware team