Full-time MBA and Undergraduate students receive an Alumni forwarding email address when their Wharton student account is created. This forwarding address does not expire even after you graduate from Wharton. It's also separate from your Penn Alumni address. (For information on your Penn Alumni address, see the Quaker Gmail FAQ.)
Before You Start
You will need:
- Full-time MBA or Undergraduate student status at Wharton
- a Wharton Account
What is It?
- Once you graduate, your Alumni Forwarding Address acts as a FORWARDING address only. The Alumni forwarding address is not a separate "Account," and you cannot log into it as you would with a regular email account. After graduation you must choose a non-Wharton email address (e.g.: email@example.com) as the destination for messages sent to your Alumni Forwarding Address.
- To send email as your Wharton Alumni Forwarding address, see our "Send as" article here.
How Should I Use It?
- After you graduate, you should begin using your Alumni forwarding address exclusively. Many students begin using it long before they graduate to ease the transition at graduation.
- For Long-Term Contacts We recommend using your Alumni forwarding address on any contact information you distribute to people who may need to reach you after you graduate.
Format of the Address
Alumni forwarding addresses include your First and Last name and must include your graduation year. Here are some sample examples:
- MBA Student: Josephina.Wharton.WG16@wharton.upenn.edu
- Undergraduate Student: Joseph.Wharton.WH16@wharton.upenn.edu
Changes to your Alumni forwarding address are permitted under certain circumstances as long as the basic format -- firstname.lastname@example.org -- is maintained.
Find your Alumni Forwarding Address
If you're not sure what your Alumni forwarding address is, you can look it up:
- Current MBA & Undergraduate Students: Navigate to the Forwarding Application, login with your Pennkey username and password, and look under the Send to section. You should see your Alumni Forwarding Address listed there.
- Alumni & Ph.D students : Look your name up in the directory at the Wharton Alumni portal, http://www.whartonconnect.com. You'll need to create an alumni account to access WhartonConnect. PhD students can also request their Alumni forwarding address through the IT Support Representative for their department.
Alumni Address Forwarding
Depending on where you are in the process of studying, directions for forwarding will vary. Please note: your Alumni Forwarding Address is linked to your Wharton student email while you are a student. If you forward your student email to another account such as Gmail, the Alumni address will forward there as well.
Alumni forwarding addresses for current and recently graduated Wharton students automatically point to your Wharton student email account (email@example.com) while the account is still active. This cannot be changed.
If you forward your Wharton student email to another address, your Alumni forwarding address will also forward to that address.
To Change the destination of your Alumni Forwarding/Wharton student email address:
- Navigate to http://apps.wharton.upenn.edu/iam/forwarding.
- Click the "Forward My Mail" tab.
Recent Alumni: (Student Account still Active)
Your Wharton Student Account does not immediately close when you graduate. See Graduating Students: Account Transition Information for complete information and timelines. To change your Alumni Address forwarding:
Alumni: (Student Account Closed)
Once you graduate and your Wharton student account is closed, use the Alumni Website to change the forwarding for your Alumni forwarding address:
- Open the Wharton Alumni web page at http://www.whartonconnect.com.
- Log in with your WhartonConnect ID and Password, then select My Profile on the left side of the screen.
- Click Edit beside Contact Info.
- Enter your new forwarding address, and select the Change Forwarding option.
If you are not a registered member, you will need to register on WhartonConnect before you are able to change your forwarding address. You can do this by clicking the Sign Up option on the main WhartonConnect page.
You may request appropriate changes by contacting the Student Support Team. Please include the way your Alumni address is currently displayed, and the way it should look.
The naming convention for Alumni addresses includes your school (WG for Wharton Graduate, and WH for Wharton Undergraduate) and your graduating year. (Your Alumni email address must contain your Division and Year of Graduation; it cannot be removed under any circumstances.)
If your year of graduation changes, your Alumni address can be updated by contacting the Student Support Team. Please include both the way your Alumni address is currently displayed and the way it should look.
Contact: Wharton Computing Student Support