This service is only available for use in classrooms. It's not a solution for quizzes or exams being delivered online.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a special web browser that lets you take quizzes in Canvas using your own computer, but restricts access to other programs or websites while the quiz is in progress. With Respondus enabled, you will NOT be able to take screenshots, copy, paste, print, or navigate to other websites. Your instructor will let you know when Respondus is required for a particular quiz.
Before You Start
You will need a Mac or Windows laptop (Linux and Android devices are not supported). Please check with your instructor if you do not have a Mac or Windows laptop.
Installation and Testing
A few days before your first quiz, install and test the LockDown Browser.
- Download and install the LockDown Browser on the computer you will use when taking in-class quizzes. A free download is available at: https://whr.tn/respondus. (Windows and Mac versions only).
Note: If you previously downloaded LockDown Browser and get a message saying “Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas” when you log into Canvas, click the “i” icon in the LockDown Browser toolbar, then click the "Check for Newer Version" button to update your version of the LockDown Browser.
2. Complete a sample quiz using Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Using the same computer that you will bring to class for your actual quiz, launch the LockDown Browser.
- You may be prompted to close some programs that are run in the background on your computer (eg, messaging programs). Click on Kill these applications to continue.
- Log in with your PennKey to access Canvas (two-factor authentication is always required when using Respondus, so have your phone or a spare code handy). Once you log in, select the relevant course.
- Click on the Quizzes link in the Canvas course menu, open the Sample Quiz for Respondus LockDown Browser, and take the quiz. It will only take a few minutes.
3. If you are unable to complete these steps, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which class is requiring the LockDown Browser.
Tips for the Day of the Quiz
- Bring the same computer that you used for the sample quiz.
- Arrive with a fully charged battery. Limited electric outlets will be available in the classroom.
- Bring your phone for two-factor authentication (Duo Mobile is recommended for iOS and Android phones) or come prepared with a spare code.
- Ensure you have a reliable Internet connection (AirPennNet is preferred).
- Launch the LockDown browser, and then navigate to your course to start taking the quiz.
- Do not submit the quiz until you are sure that you are finished. Once submitted, you will not be able to re-open the quiz.
Contact: Wharton Computing's Courseware team