This service is only available for use in proctored classrooms or labs. It's not a solution for quizzes or exams being delivered remotely.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a special web browser that lets you take quizzes in Canvas using your own computer, but restricts access to other programs or websites while the quiz is in progress. With Respondus enabled, you will NOT be able to take screenshots, copy, paste, print, or navigate to other websites. Your instructor will let you know when Respondus is required for a particular quiz.
Before You Start
Use Mac or Windows: You will need a Mac or Windows laptop (Linux and Android devices are not supported). Limited functionality is available for Surface Pro tablets. Please check with your instructor if you do not have a Mac or Windows laptop.
Update your Software: Make sure your operating system, browser, and Respondus Lockdown Brower are all updated to the most recent version.
Installation and Testing
A few days before your first quiz, install and test the LockDown Browser.
- Download and install the LockDown Browser on the computer you will use when taking in-class quizzes. A free download is available at: https://whr.tn/respondus. (Windows and Mac versions only).
- Note: if you are using an iPad to take the exam, you can download the Respondus LockDown Browser app from the App Store. Only Windows and Mac laptops or Apple iPads are supported at this time.
Note: If you previously downloaded LockDown Browser and get a message saying Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas when you log into Canvas. Click the “i” icon (Windows) or globe icon (Mac) in the LockDown Browser toolbar, then click the Check for Newer Version button to update your version of the LockDown Browser.
LockDown Browser versions do change. It is important to make sure the version on your computer matches the version listed on the website (https://whr.tn/respondus). If you have an older version of the app, you may need to uninstall and reinstall to ensure you're running the latest version.
2. Complete a sample quiz using Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Using the same computer that you will bring to class for your actual quiz, open Canvas in any browser if your instructor confirms this is a New Quizzes exam. If a Classic Quiz, you'll need to open the LockDown Browser first.
- If a New Quiz (most cases), navigate to your course, then open the practice quiz. When you click to "Begin," LockDown Browser will launch automatically. You may be prompted to close some programs that are run in the background on your computer (eg, messaging programs). Close these applications to continue.
- If you are unable to complete these steps, please contact email@example.com and indicate which class is requiring the LockDown Browser. Please try to include any screenshots or the text of any error messages you receive.
- Clear your browser history/cache and restart your device. Click the link for your particular web browser for instructions on clearing your cache (it will open in a new tab)
- Close all open applications and browser windows/tabs. LockDown Browser will prompt you to close any that are still running.
- You should be accessing Canvas from https://canvas.upenn.edu (NOT upenn.instructure.com).
- A student may have Screencastify unknowingly running as a browser extension in Chrome. They should remove the extension completely in Chrome by going to Settings>More Tools>Extensions. If that doesn’t work, follow the additional troubleshooting steps.
Tips for the Day of the Quiz
- Bring the same computer that you used for the sample quiz.
- Arrive with a fully charged battery. Limited electric outlets will be available in the classroom.
- Ensure you have a reliable Internet connection (AirPennNet is preferred).
- Check with your instructor to ensure you are accessing correctly: If this is a New Quizzes exam, make sure to open this in a regular browser first (e.g. Chrome, Firefox), not in the LockDown Browser app. In Classic Quizzes, you'll need to open the LockDown Browser first.
- Do not submit the quiz until you are sure that you are finished. Once submitted, you will not be able to re-open the quiz.
Contact: Wharton Computing's Courseware team