This article describes how to create, manage, and use Canvas groups.
Before You Start
You will need a course site.
Canvas allows you to create student groups, for project or term papers or any other assignment in which students will collaborate. To create a group:
- Go to People.
- Select "+ Group Set."
- On the pop-up, you will be asked to name the group set, to decide if students will be permitted to sign up themselves, and to set the maximum members per group. If you choose not to allow self sign-up, you can assign students manually or randomly.
- You can limit groups to prevent students from forming groups across sections; therefore, if the first student to join Group A is from Scction 001, students from Section 002 could not join that group. This does not allow you to reserve groups for specific sections.
- Click Save.
Students will be notified of new group sets according to their notification preferences. A course site can contain more than one group set, each with its own distinct groups. You can also remind students who have not yet joined a group, and also prevent students from switching groups.
TIP: You can send a message to students who have not joined a self sign-up group set.
Linking groups to assignments
You can link a group set to an assignment, so that all the students in the group will receive the same grade. It's important to remember that...
- A group assignment that is not linked to a group set will not permit you to assign one grade to the entire student group.
- Even when a group assignment is linked to a group set you can choose to assign grades individually. If only a few students will receive individual grades, assign the group grades first, then turn on individual grading to leave individual grades.
- All students in the group can see the submitted work, as well the grade and any comments you leave.
TIP: You cannot change an individual assignment to a group assignment once students have submitted work.
Students join groups through People, but you should be aware that their view differs from that of an instructor. Students can join and switch groups freely, assuming that you have enabled "self sign-up", and that group maximums permit this. You can "close" group sets to prevent students from switching.
Groups have their own "sub-sites" that contain Files, Discussions, Announcements and a few other Canvas features.
This sub-site is accessible only by group members, and by the teaching team, as are any materials or messages you leave there.
Please remember that although this sub-site is nested within a course site, it is restricted to group members and the teaching team. Materials meant for all members of a course site should not be placed in one of these sub-sites.
Contact: Name of person or team to contact with questions. If it's a team, provide a link to the site.
Email: If your preferred method of contact is via an email address, provide that here.