These directions work whether you're creating a new Virtual Meeting in Canvas or editing a pre-existing meeting on the Virtual Meeting tab of a Canvas Site.
Keep in mind that only the meeting owner can edit a meeting.
Inviting a Guest to a Virtual Meeting Scheduled within Canvas
Lots of classes feature guest speakers. It is easy to get your Virtual Meeting information to your guest speaker so they can join your class from their location.
If you scheduled your Virtual Meeting using Canvas, you have two options: sharing a link or adding the guest speaker to the meeting. We recommend sharing a link, but either method will work.
Share a link to the Virtual Meeting
We recommend you share the link to your class Virtual Meeting via email with any guest speaker you're interested in having in your class:
- Go to the Canvas course site for the class you'd like to invite a guest to.
- Click on Virtual Meetings.
- Click the Join button next to the meeting you’d like to share with a guest.
- That should launch the join URL in a new tab. The URL will look like this: bluejeans.com/123456789. Select the URL and copy it.If you created the meeting, the launch will also append the moderator code to the end of the URL. Using the above URL as an example, if the link included a moderator code it would look like this: bluejeans.com/123456789/2222. Simply share everything before the final / with your guest.
- Copy the URL into an email message to your guest. When they click on the link they will be able to join the Virtual Meeting.
Invite a Guest from within Canvas
You can also use Canvas to invite your guest speaker. Following the below instructions will trigger a BlueJeans email to be sent to your guest:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Virtual Meeting creation window (for a new Meeting) or the detail window (for a pre-existing meeting) until you see the Members section:
- Click Add Invite under “External Guest Emails". Type in the guest speaker’s email address in the box that appears. If you want to invite more than one guest click Add Invite again to add another, and repeat as needed.
- Click Save.
Be sure to use the recommended settings for the rest of the Virtual Meeting.
The recipient will receive an email invitation to join the meeting (this cannot be disabled). Here's a sample of the email so you can tell your guest what to look out for:
The Scheduler’s name will show up in the “From” field of the Bluejeans invite so this should be considered when someone besides the instructor is asked to schedule the meeting.
Inviting a Guest to a Virtual Meeting
You can also gather the information needed to invite your guest speaker to your Virtual Meetings scheduled via meeting.wharton.upenn.edu:
- Log into meeting.wharton.upenn.edu with your PennKey username and password.
- Find the Virtual Meeting you want to invite your guest to in your list of meetings.
- Hover over it with your mouse and click the "..." button.
- Click View Join Details.
- You can copy the meeting URL here or click the Copy Join Details and all the details, including the URL and the call in numbers, will be placed on your clipboard for pasting.
- Paste the URL or the join details into an email to your guest speaker. They will be able to use these details to join your meeting.