The Wharton VPN gives faculty and staff access to secured Wharton resources from off campus; the Wharton Virtual Lab client allows students to use the public computers from off campus.
Before You Start
You will need:
- to be either Faculty, Staff or PhD students at Wharton; MBA and Undergraduate students should use the Virtual Lab client.
- to have an active Wharton account
- to have access to the Internet
- to have administrative access to your devices
Download the VPN
Downloading the Forticlient VPN software by going to:
Click on the folder of your computer's operating system to download the appropriate client.
- Most people using Windows should install the x64 version.
Install and Configure the VPN
After you have successfully downloaded Forticlient, follow the instructions for your Operating System to install and configure the VPN.
- Once the download is complete double click on the Client Installer and the window below will appear.
- Keep the default location and click “Next.”
- Click “Install."
- A progress bar will appear indicating the installation progress; once the installation is completed click “Finish” to exit the installer.
Now you’re ready to use the VPN.
- Double click on the disk image you downloaded via the link above.
- The window to the right will appear. Double click on the “Install” icon.
- The installer will launch. Click on “Continue.”
- Click “Continue” to accept the Software License.
- They really want to be sure that you agree to the Software License. Click “Agree” to continue.
- Click “Install” and the installation process starts.
You’ll be asked for the password to your Mac in the next screen, so be sure to have that handy.
- Enter your Mac user account password here. Note that the account you’re using to install the client must have administrative rights on your Mac. If the install fails contact your LSP.
Click “Install Software.”
- A progress bar will appear indicating the installation progress; once the installation is completed click “Close” to exit the installer.
Now you’re ready to connect with your newly installed VPN client.
- The Linux installer is compressed, so after you download the file using the link above you have to uncompress it using the following commands where “filename” is replaced with the name of the installer:
tar -xvf filenamexyz.tar
- By default installer extracts to a directory named forticlientsslvpn.
Change your path to that folder and run the install shell script by typing:
./fortisslvpn.sh &This installs the Forticlient and starts the first run experience. You’ll see the information dialog at the right appear. Click “OK.”
- The License is displayed. Feel free to read it.
Click “Agree” to continue.
- The Forticlient needs to configure your system to function, and to do this it requires your root password.
Enter the password and click “OK.”
- Now you need to configure a default VPN connection. Enter the following information into the fields:
- Server: https://cpa-vpn.wharton.upenn.edu
- Port: 443
- User: Your Wharton username
- Password: Your Wharton password
- Leave the Certificate and final Password field blank.
A warning may appear telling you that the certificate for the SSLVPN server is invalid. If this message appears click “Continue” as it can safely be ignored.
- A warning may appear telling you that the certificate for the SSLVPN server is invalid. If this message appears click “Continue” as it can safely be ignored.
- A VPN connection is established and a Connection status window will appear.
Click “Stop” to disconnect.
Using the VPN
There are two ways to connect to the Wharton VPN using Windows: launching it from the System Tray, or by using the FortiClient console.
- Click on the FortiClient icon in the System Tray.
Click on “Connect to Wharton Users” from the menu.
- The VPN authentication dialog will appear.
Enter your Wharton Username and Password and click “Connect.” Note: your version of the client may look slightly different than the screenshot below.
Once the VPN connects this box will automatically close.
- Click on the FortiClient icon in the Start Menu.
- You’ll see a couple of options on the left hand side of the window, however only Remote Access is enabled and will be selected by default.
Enter your Wharton Username and Password. Click “Connect.”
Once the VPN is connected the console will display information related to the connection including the IP address assigned to your session. You can close this window; the VPN will remain connected.
Launching the VPN on a Mac:
- The FortiClient installs a menubar item on your Mac so you can easily connect to the VPN.
Click on the FortiClient icon in the menubar and then click on “Wharton Users.”
- The FortiClient authentication window appears.
Enter your Wharton username and password and click “Connect.”
- Once the VPN connects a notification will appear for few seconds and then go away.