Some instructors may want to upload the recordings of their Zoom meetings separately from the automatic posting of meetings scheduled through Canvas. You'll need to first download the recording from the Zoom interface and then upload that file to Canvas using Panopto.
The instructions in the Uploading the Recording to Canvas section can be used to upload any video, not just recorded Zoom meetings, to Canvas.
Accessing the Recording in Zoom
Zoom meetings scheduled via Canvas and recorded are automatically uploaded to the Class Recordings tab (Panopto) in Canvas. These recordings are not stored on Zoom and are only accessible via the Class Recordings tab.
You may expect that a Zoom recording would consist of one file, however, a Zoom recording will often have many files for you to pick from:
- There are several Recording layout files (Shared screen with speaker view is probably the best choice for uploading to Canvas).
- Audio only.
- Audio transcript.
The instructions below will show you have to download all the available recordings for a meeting at once, or pick and choose. Click Read More to see the instructions:
The host of the Zoom meeting will receive an email once the recording of a meeting is available. If you are the host, click the first link in the email and skip to Step 3 in the instructions below.
- Log into https://upenn.zoom.us with your PennKey username and password.
- Click on Recordings under the Personal sidebar on the on the left side of the screen.
- By default the Cloud Recordings tab will be selected, and all your cloud recorded meetings will be listed. If you want to download all the recorded files for a meeting, click on the More button and then Download (x files).
- If you want to download a specific recording layout, like Shared screen with speaker view, click on the name of the meeting and you'll be taken to the meeting recording details page.
- You can click the Download (x files) button here to download all the files, but since you're interested in a particular file just hover your mouse point over the file and a few icons will appear.
- Click the download icon () and the file will be downloaded to your computer. Make a note of where you saved the file so you can easily find it to upload to Canvas.
Uploading the Recording to Canvas
Zoom meetings scheduled via Canvas and recorded are automatically uploaded to the Class Recordings tab (Panopto) in Canvas.
Now that you've downloaded your recorded meeting, you can upload it to Canvas using Panopto by following these steps:
- Log into the Canvas Course Site where you'll be uploading your video.
- Click Class Recordings and then the blue Create button in the upper right.
- Select Upload Media from the Create menu.
- You can drag and drop your files into the dotted box that appears, or click on it and use your operating system's file picker to find the recording in the location you took note of in the previous section.Click on the triangle next to the Add files to menu to select a different folder for the recording you are uploading.
- Your recording will upload, timing dependent on the speed of your internet connection, and a green check mark will appear to signify success.
- Your video will require some time to process (the time it takes will depend on how long the video is), but it appears on the Class Recording page immediately. Hover over the video to access settings, get a link for sharing, edit the video, and delete it.