Some instructors may want to upload the recordings of their videoconference meetings separately from the automatic posting of meetings scheduled through Canvas. You'll need to first download the recording from the Zoom or BlueJeans interface and then upload that file to Canvas using Panopto.
Note on Student Uploads to Panopto: In many cases students may not be able to upload videos directly to Panopto. The workaround for this is to have students upload their videos to PennBox (or another cloud storage option) and then the TA or Professor can transfer them to Panopto.
The instructions in the "Uploading the Recording to Canvas" section can be used to upload any video to Canvas.
Recordings scheduled through Canvas using the steps from Video Conferences for Instruction will be automatically copied to Class Recordings. The instructions below are for transferring local or cloud Zoom recordings of meetings scheduled a different way.
You may expect that a Zoom recording would consist of one file, however, a Zoom recording will often have many files for you to pick from:
- There are several Recording layout files (Shared screen with speaker view is probably the best choice for uploading to Canvas).
- Audio only.
- Audio transcript
The instructions below will show you have to download all the available recordings for a meeting at once, or pick and choose. Click Read More to see the instructions:
The host of the Zoom meeting will receive an email once the recording of a meeting is available. If you are the host, click the first link in the email and skip to Step 3 in the instructions below.
- Log into https://upenn.zoom.us with your PennKey username and password.
- Click on Recordings under the Personal sidebar on the on the left side of the screen.
- By default the Cloud Recordings tab will be selected, and all your cloud recorded meetings will be listed. If you want to download all the recorded files for a meeting, click on the More button and then Download (x files).
- If you want to download a specific recording layout, like Shared screen with speaker view, click on the name of the meeting and you'll be taken to the meeting recording details page.
- You can click the Download (x files) button here to download all the files, but since you're interested in a particular file just hover your mouse point over the file and a few icons will appear.
- Click the download icon () and the file will be downloaded to your computer. Make a note of where you saved the file so you can easily find it to upload to Canvas.
You can download any recording of a video conference you've scheduled (and recorded) following these steps:
The scheduler of the video conference will receive an email once the recording of a meeting is available. You can click the Access Recordings button in that email and skip to Step 3 in the instructions below.
- Log into meeting.wharton.upenn.edu with your PennKey username and password.
- Your "Recent Recordings" are listed on the right of the screen. If you see your recording there click on it and go to Step 4. Otherwise click Recordings in the top menu.
- The "Recordings" screen lists all your recorded Virtual Meetings. Click on the meeting you're interested in uploading to Canvas.
- You can watch the video here. Once you confirm this is the recording you want, click the download icon() next to the video name.
- If your video conference recording has multiple chapters (a new chapter is created whenever a recording is stopped and started, or automatically at 2 hour intervals), each chapter is listed separately and can be downloaded individually. You can download a few versions of your video conference recording by clicking the download video icon ( ) next to the recording listing. We recommend the Audio, Video & Presentation option.
- A Save dialogue will appear. Take note of where on your computer you save the recording, since you'll need it for the next section.
Deleting the BlueJeans recording from Canvas
Once you've posted the BlueJeans video to Canvas via Panopto, it is listed in the "Class Recordings" section of your Canvas course site. If the meeting was scheduled through Canvas for the whole class, its recording may appear in the Recorded BlueJeans Meetings section of the BlueJeans tab on your course site as well. It is a good idea to delete the video in the BlueJeans section so students aren't confused by the duplication:
- Log into the Canvas course site that contains the video you'd like to delete.
- Click BlueJeans on the sidebar of that site.
- Scroll down to the "Recorded BlueJeans Meetings" section.
- Click Delete next to the recording you want to delete and then confirm by clicking OK.
- The recording is now deleted.
Uploading the Recording to Canvas
Now that you've downloaded your recorded meeting, you can upload it to Canvas using Panopto by following these steps:
- Log into the Canvas Course Site where you'll be uploading your video.
- Click Class Recordings and then the blue Create button in the upper right.
- Select Upload Media from the Create menu.
- You can drag and drop your files into the dotted box that appears, or click on it and use your operating system's file picker to find the recording in the location you took note of in the previous section.Click on the triangle next to the "Add files to" menu to select a different folder for the recording you are uploading.
- Your recording will upload, timing dependent on the speed of your internet connection, and a green check mark will appear to signify success.
- Your video will require some time to process (the time it takes will depend on how long the video is), but it appears on the Class Recording page immediately. Hover over the video to access settings, get a link for sharing, edit the video, and delete it.