Video conferences come equipped with features that can be used during lectures to assist with content delivery. These built-ins are available when creating and joining a meeting through Canvas. Some of the same tools may also be available when joining a meeting using an app or web browser, but not all will be.
Before You Start
You will need the following before you can complete this task:
- A published Canvas site
- A video conference created within Canvas
- The latest version of the video conference program
Accessing the Features
You can access all of Zoom's functionality when in a meeting via the meeting toolbar:
- The meeting organizer will launch the Canvas course.
- Select BlueJeans in the left sidebar.
- Locate the appropriate BlueJeans Session under the New BlueJeans Meeting section and click the Join button.
- Click on the APPS icon in the top right of the BlueJeans screen.
- The APPS panel will appear, revealing all of the available applications.
All users need to have the latest versions of the BlueJeans or Zoom app for best results with Breakout Rooms.
See our Video Conference Breakout Rooms article for more information.
The Whiteboard feature can come in handy when participants need to view what you are writing in real time. It can take the place of writing on a whiteboard or using a document camera in the classroom.
Learn how to share a Whiteboard on Zoom.
- Select the Start button on the Whiteboard app.
- A message will display letting you know the students can see your whiteboard.
- Use the Toolbar on the left side of the screen to mark up the whiteboard. This toolbar is only visible to you, not to the students.
- Click End on the toolbar to stop sharing the whiteboard and return to the meeting room.
Note: In some situations the text on the whiteboard may appear reversed to you, but your viewers will see it correctly, and it will be recorded correctly.
Learn how to use annotation tools on a shared screen or whiteboard in Zoom.
The built-in Annotation feature can be used to mark up a slide or any application window during your presentation. Before choosing annotation, it is recommended that all other applications with sensitive content be closed completely.
- Open the presentation or application and navigate to the slide or screen you'd like to annotate.
- Select the Start button on the Annotation application.
- Select the Click here to start screen sharing located in the middle of the BlueJeans application screen. It is important to note you are sharing your entire desktop at this point. If you toggle through applications without pausing sharing, your remote attendees will see any applications you toggle through or select.
- Use the Toolbar to annotate.
- Select Pause Share and Stop annotation at the top of the screen to switch content or advance to the next slide.
- Locate and select the content or next slide you need to annotate.
Select Resume Share and Annotate at the top of the screen to begin your screen share and annotation.
- When finished select Stop Sharing to return to the main meeting room and begin lecturing without sharing content. You can click the Screen Share icon at the top of the meeting room to share your content again, if desired.
Upload & Share Video
Learn how to optimize a shared video in Zoom.
If you are planning to share videos during your synchronous lecture, using the upload and share video application will boost the video and audio quality.
Windows users need to download additional software to make this feature work.
- Click View button on the Upload and share video
- Select the Click to choose a file button that appears in the application panel.
- Select and open the video you want to upload.
- Once the upload is complete the video will be available from the list located in the application panel.
- Click the still of the video you want to share. The meeting will automatically go into sharing mode, if you aren't already sharing your screen.
- Play the video. During the video your microphone audio is automatically muted. If you wish to speak during any part of the video you will be able to manually unmute yourself using the controls at the top of the meeting screen.
Note: Upload your videos well in advance so they are available during class. It can take some time to upload if the video is large. Your uploaded videos follow your BlueJeans account, so they will be available when you join other meetings.