If your personal computer has a virus, use the steps below to try removing it on your own.
The University's recommended antivirus software for unmanaged computers is now Sophos. Symantec support was discontinued in May 2022.
Faculty and Staff should NOT attempt to remove viruses on any machine provided to them by Penn.
If you suspect you have a virus, disconnect your computer from the network, power it off and contact your Wharton Computing Representative right away for assistance.
Virus Removal Procedure
We've compiled a set of simplified steps for PC and Mac to make it easy for you to try and fix your own computer. Students can make an appointment (before 2 pm) with Student Support to have your machine scanned and cleaned if more help is needed.
Before You Start:
- Back up your computer's data to an external hard drive or other source not attached to your computer to prevent any loss of important data.
- Make sure you're comfortable downloading and installing software on your computer.
The procedure below is simplified for your convenience and remedies most situations.
- Install & run Malwarebytes --make sure you DECLINE the trial offer, remove all selected.
- Run Windows Defender or install Sophos Home and run a scan.
- Install & run AdwCleaner. (Remove all found items, this will clean up infected internet browsers and potentially unwanted programs.)
- Run Disk Cleanup provided by Windows.
Post Removal Checklist
- Check to ensure that an Anti Virus program is installed and running (Windows Defender, Sophos, AVG, etc..).
- Check that the Firewall is enabled.
- Check to see if there are any available Windows updates, and download them at your earliest convenience. (Depending on how many updates are pending, this may take anywhere from several minutes to several hours.)
- Check to ensure the computer successfully connects to the Internet.
- If the computer does not connect, check to see if the infection enabled a proxy by going to the LAN settings in Internet options.
Students who are still experiencing complications can make an appointment (before 2 pm) with Student Support to have the computer scanned and cleaned.
Virus Removal Procedure (Mac)
The steps for removing viruses from Macs are fairly straightforward.
- Download and install Malwarebytes for Mac.
- Open Malwarebytes, and Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Click Scan, if any items are found, click Delete All.
- Restart your computer.
Contact your Wharton Computing Representative for more information.