If faculty or staff would like to add their existing Gmail account to a Wharton-installed Outlook, you'll need to enable and activate some settings in Gmail first.
Before You Start
You will need the following before you can complete this task:
- Regular Gmail account
- Admin access to your device
Add Gmail Account to Outlook 2013 Using IMAP settings
- Log into your Gmail account and open Settings by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and make sure IMAP is enabled. Click "Save Changes".
- Open Outlook 2013 and go to File tab.
- Then, just above the Account Settings button, click Add Account.
- Select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
- Then in Choose service select POP or IMAP.
- Add your name as you would like it to be displayed and your full email address. Add the following for the server information:
- Click the More Settings... button to open the Internet E-mail Settings window.
- Select the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select the radio button next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- In the same window, go to the Advanced tab and verify the following:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 25 or 465
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS
- Click OK when finished.
- Click Next.
- If you've entered everything correctly, both tasks will be completed successfully and you can click Close.
- Click Next.
- When you see a message that says "You're all set!" click Finish.
- You can now check your Gmail using Outlook.
Add Gmail Account to Outlook 365 Using IMAP settings
Step 1: Prepare Gmail for connecting to Outlook
Before you connect your Gmail account and Outlook, you need to prepare your Gmail account: turn on 2-step verification for Gmail and then create an app password that Outlook/Office 365 will use your Gmail address to make the connection.
Step 2: Add your Gmail account to Outlook
When you're finished with this step, you'll see your existing Gmail messages in Outlook. You can use Outlook to receive, read, and send new messages from your Gmail account.
You can also continue to use your Gmail account as before through the Gmail website.
- Open the Outlook app (such as Outlook 2013 or 2016). The top ribbon looks like this, with File in the left corner:
You can only use a version of Outlook that has File in the left corner - it means your version has an Import/Export wizard.
If your Outlook ribbon looks something like the one below, then you're not using an Outlook app that's installed on your computer. See How to get the Outlook app.
- In the Outlook app, choose File > Add Account.
- On the Auto Account Setup page, enter your name, your Gmail address and your Gmail password (or the app password), and then choose Next.
If the configuration process doesn't finish and you instead get prompts to enter your username and password for the imap.gmail.com server, choose Cancel and re-enter your app password in case the first one had a typo. If you continue having problems, see Fixing problems with adding Gmail to Outlook.
- Click Finish. Outlook now syncs with your Gmail account. The email in your Gmail account should now appear in Outlook, right below your Office 365 mailbox.